Jonesville Fire Department was established in 1957, though the
members had to depend on the Elkin Fire Department to respond with
apparatus until Jonesville took delivery, in 1958, of its first fire
Jonesville Fire Department had a one bay stall to house the 1958
American Lafrance Pumper. The department had meeting quarters
up stairs above the town hall, where it stayed for 37 years.
1972 a second stall was built to house a Tanker. In 1979, a
Hamerly Ford Pumper truck was delivered and tanker was sold.
1992, a 1982 van from RJR was purchased for our equipment truck
and equipped with medical supplies, since an EMS first responder
program was started. Call volume went from 50 calls a year
to 372 calls a year. Plans for a new fire station were started,
due to the van, that runs the most calls, had to set outside in
the weather. In the spring of 1993, construction was started
on a new fire station at 111 S. Bridge St. The new building
houses three drive through bays, a large meeting room, two offices,
a kitchen, day room, and a shower room. In 1994 the new
building was ready to move into.
1995, an F-350 rescue truck was purchased from Lake Mary, Florida to
replace the van for medical response. In 2000, delivery of a
Volvo/KME Custom 8 man Cab Pumper was made. This unit was to
replace the 1958 pumper. In July 2001 Keith Macy became the
third chief since the start of the department, he replaced Lindbergh
Swaim who was chief for 44 years. In 2006, a new 2600 Chevrolet
truck was purchased to run medical calls.
October 2008 the Jonesville Fire Department started an explorer post
through the Boy Scouts of America. This is for all youths,
male and female, from ages 14 to 20 that are interested in a career
in the emergency services or medical fields.
If you live in the Jonesville area, the Jonesville Fire Department
is always looking for interested people to join the department.